Monday, January 31, 2005

How to disappear in America

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I found myself fascinated with this*: Vanishing Point: How to disappear in America without a trace
An excerpt:

What you want to do is make your new life to the point where if you're ever caught, your employer, friends, and neighbors will express disbelief when the cops haul you away. While getting caught shouldn't be part of your goals, you should consider the possibility and plan accordingly.
This is very important if you build a new family: Your wife or husband should be told who you really are before you get married. Since you're working to become a respectable, productive member of society, your prospective spouse should know your past before you get married!
Finding out your real name isn't Michael Johnson after five years of marriage won't help your wife maintain support for you when the cops come to haul you away. Letting her know you're on the run and for why you're on the run before hand means that you'll have support if they ever do find you.
*Note: This has nothing to do with my mysterious vacation next week. I promise. ;)

1 comment:

Just me said...

Creepy! Especially how he keeps referring to how things are "common in America"... Something tells me this wasn't written for women escaping abusive relationships, as he points out time and again. But, you already knew that.