Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Note to self: Take the stairs for the next few weeks

I hate elevator talk. This morning, I was greeted with the following: "So, how're things in the conference room? I saw you were moved."

As promised, I was moved out of my cube last week. Into another cube. On a different floor. It kind of feels like I've been voted off the IT island. The good thing is, I'm pretty secluded and don't have the pleasure of listening to 4 or 5 conversations at any given time.

But I do have to deal with a lot of questions. A lot of the same questions:

Q: Why did they move you down here?
A: There was no room for the new consultant, so they gave him my cube.

Q: Why didn't they move you to the conference room?
A: Well, initially, it was because they didn't have a desk for me in there. It eventually turned political and the "appropriateness" of me moving to a conference room/office became the focus.

Q: Is your boss moving too?
A: Uh, no.

Q: Are you still in IT?
A: Uh, yeah...

Q: So why aren't you up there?
A: There's no room.

Q: Are they going to make room for you up there so you can go back?
A: Uh, not that I'm aware of.

Q: Aren't you lonely?
A: I'm not here at work to socialize...

To be honest, once it was determined that if I were to move, I would be moving downstairs all by myself (meaning I'm not around people I work with - they haven't stuck me in a storage room or anything... yet), I was given the choice to stay where I was.

I talked it over with my boss, and we (being logical types) mapped out the pros and cons of each location. They were equal. He gave me a couple hours to think it over, and when it was time to let him know my decision, I did the logical thing and consulted an expert.

Stupid eight ball...

4 comments:

peach said...

yeah, that eight ball thing is pretty cool. had some interesting answers for some of my inquires...hmmm

Linda said...

Careful Peach, I wouldn't use the eight ball for important matters, like "Should I wear the black dress instead of the red one?". But I'm sure you realize that... :)

Jason A Myers said...

I trust that you kept your red swingline stapler through this all. As a fellow multimoved IT guy I say "I'll take my travelers checks to a competeing resort."

Linda said...

Actually, my swingline is black, but other than that, bears a striking resemblance to Milton's. Maybe I do need to lock it up.

And, I still haven't unpacked anything other than the necessities. I have a feeling as soon as I do, I'll be moving again. Rumor has it there's another contractor starting in a few weeks.

Maybe they'll let me work from home...