Sunday, March 27, 2005

Thanks Easter Bunny (bawk bawk)

I used to LOVE that commercial.

So, Easter Sunday and time to go to Mom's for dinner with a couple dozen strangers. It's funny how since my parents have gotten divorced, Mom has expanded her inner circle and what used to be "family" dinners are now group outings. Supposedly, my dear brother has talked with her about this and it won't happen again.

Anyway... Picked Peach up at noon and was happy to get a mimosa to go and we headed south to Spring Hill for an afternoon Easter dinner. Luckily, what could have been 30 was dinner for 15. Mom seems to forget that her kitchen, dining room, and living room now occupy the same space that used to be any one of the three.

After dinner, we had the traditional Easter egg hunt, and the 4 people under age eight that were there were more than happy to participate. While the eggs were being "hidden", Mom broke out the Easter bunny shaped chalk and the kids happily graffitied her driveway and street. I think I was the only one grossed out by the remainders of the chalk - a bunch of bunnies with no heads.

Early into the hunt, I realized that Zander was at a disadvantage, being only three, as once he found his first egg, he stood there holding it up for all to see, beaming with pride. The competitive side of me broke out, and I buddied up with Zander, and helped him find all the treats he could. I decided to grab one for myself, and immediately was shocked to see a huge garden slug stuck to the sucker I had picked up. I quickly handed it off to Mom, went inside to the kitchen to wash my hands and deal with dry heaves in the sink for a few minutes, and moved on to watching the basketball game.

When the kids came in, Zander was proud of his basket full of treats, and thanked me for helping (what a gentleman) and even allowed me the honor of putting his shoes on when he left to go home. I'll tell you this - if I had Spiderman sneakers that lit up when I walked, you'd be honored if I asked you to help me put them on too.

6 comments:

Just me said...

Well, I'll tell you this... If you had Spiderman sneakers that lit up when you walked, I'd be really scared.

Busy Mom said...

Hmm..I wonder what size those shoes come in...

Muffy said...

Kids these days. tsk.

I would have used the bunny's ass first! THEN the head.

Linda said...

Busy Mom, I can find out where they were purchased for you. I'll let you know. I'm sure they don't come in MY size though...

Muffy, as a kid who felt guilty eating animal crackers, I think I would have left the chalk bunnies alone. Seriously, the thought of touching a slug gave me dry heaves - you think I could decapitate a rabbit???

Bruceleeroy said...

I see you have accidentally left out the part where you emotionally scared him for life by promising a comic on his silly puddy! That look on his face was priceless.

Linda said...

I wouldn't say I scarred him for life - he's three. I maybe scarred him for 15 minutes. But, to my credit, once I realized the new "changes color with temperature" silly putty does not transfer pictures from the comics, I think I recovered pretty quickly, as I moved his attention to the ice bucket and amazed him with the color change. Hope no one else needed ice after that...