Friday, April 01, 2005

April Fool's Day? More like Friday the 13th.

It started out as such a good day. I woke up this morning and spent an extra half an hour lying in bed, just listening to the rain. It's the first Friday of the month, which means we can wear jeans to work, and that's always good. I left home with plenty of time to get to work, as we all know what can happen to traffic in Nashville when the first drop of rain falls.

Surprisingly, traffic wasn't bad, and I turned off Briley to cut through to the back entrance of our office park. I approached the 90° turn to the left that cuts under I-40 and put my foot on the brakes to slow down and the pedal went to the floor. In a panic I reached for the parking brake, which wasn't readily accessible, so I thought "slam it into park" (and yes, I know how bad that would be for my car, but I also know how bad the concrete wall in front of me would be for me, and was willing to risk it).

In my panic mode, I shifted not forward into park, but backwards into low. Instinct won over, I hit the brakes again, was thrilled to feel them catch, and I slowed down and made the turn with no problem.

It was the longest 3 seconds of my life.

By then, I was within view of my office and (slowly) made it to work.

By the end of the day, my car will have a new master cylinder, new front brakes, resurfaced rotors, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes, an oil change and new windshield wipers (unrelated, I know, but while it's there, I figured I might as well save myself another visit in a week or so).

The bad news for anyone who has had the experience of driving with me: I can guarantee if you thought I was overly cautious and a nervous wreck when driving before, you ain't seen nothing...

13 comments:

peach said...

you poor thing!! and you are right. i know how you drive; the exact opposite of how i drive. lol i'm just glad you are okay! sorry about having to have all the auto repairs though. hate having to spend money on shit like that. eats into the bartab allowance..:)

Linda said...

Nah. That's what an emergency fund is for - and amazingly, it's not that much.

The master cylinder is what caused the problem - the others are just routine maintenance. My front brakes were ready to be replaced, but not bad yet.

That's the ironic thing - the "trigger" that tells you it's time to take your car in and replace the brake pads went off YESTERDAY. I was going to call and make an appointment for my brakes today anyway.

But, even if I had, it’s not what almost had me kissing that concrete…

Dean said...

I think you work down the street from me.

I did an unintentional 360 degree donut off of Briley near I40 where it cuts behind the airport. I was in an F150 in the rain. Miraculously, no one was around for me to kill.

You weren't kidding about your "scared to get behind the wheel" thing were you...

Linda said...

Dean - I work in Century City. And I'm wondering if I didn't jinx myself when I left that comment with you the other day!

Dean said...

You work about 100 yards from me and we should probably both leave it at that before Roboto stakes out our neighborhood...

Linda said...

deal

Just me said...

Hey girlie - glad you're all right, but I bet you've been a nervous wreck all day. Hope the rest of your day was better!

Linda's #1 fan said...

OK - no one else has said it so I will. I'm glad you're alive. We would hate to lose such a Nashville treasure. Like it or not, you're a celeb, baby!

iBrett said...

This is a pretty strange story. I'm glad you're okay, but I'm sure the car bill was expensive - for that you have my sympathy. :)

Laura Creekmore said...

Here's my favorite part [besides the fact that you're OK]: The magic of Google is bringing us ads [upper right] on:
* April Fool's Gags
* Brake Master Cylinder
* Brake Rotor

Just in case the rest of us are in similar need, I suppose.

Chez Bez said...

Wow! What a story. Glad you are fine. I take that same route to work and was almost taken out at that same 90 degree turn last week by someone who didn't stay on his side of the line.

Enjoy your weekend.

Linda said...

Thanks everyone. I realized today that my car is under warranty, and had I remembered that yesterday morning, the master cylinder part of the bill would have been covered. It's those blonde roots Peach swears I have...

Bruceleeroy said...

Good to hear you made it. Next time we go to lunch I'll drive. :)