Monday, May 09, 2005

An evening at the Ryman

Thanks to our generous benefactor, Nashville's next blogger and I headed to the Ryman this evening to catch a Peter Frampton (sorry - inside joke) show.

I have to be honest and say I had my doubts when Ethel took the stage, but halfway through their set, I was hooked.

Joe Jackson entered stage right, and entertained. By his third song, I knew my neighbors were in trouble (even though they swear they cannot hear my frequent attempts at what I call music), as I was without a doubt going to go home and try to justify my 14 years of piano lessons.

During the intermission, Julie turned to me and said she'd be satisfied if the evening ended then. Looking back, I'm thinking we may have been better off if it had.

Todd Rundgren took the stage and immediately, it was obvious something was wrong. In contrast to Joe's compliments to the audience for clapping in time, we were warned that if we attempted to keep the beat for him, he would go Roboto (with no domo arigato) on us (who knew he was a blog reader???). 4 songs into his set, Julie turned to me, and said what was on my mind: "Can we go now?".

On our way out, we both turned to each other and shared our one word review: "Wow". Followed by, "What's up with THAT?". We passed by several others who were also making an early exit and confirmed that no, we weren't the only ones and even wondered together if maybe we did decide to stick it out, Joe Jackson might possibly return to the stage.

I have to apologize if things turned for the better (and for the audience's sake, hope they did), but I am glad to be home and headed for bed, just a little after my usual bedtime.

11 comments:

Chez Bez said...

Girl meets penguin...
Well, my thoughts were synonomous with yours about Rundgren for about the first 5 minutes of his set. But he won me over bigtime. You should have stayed. And yes, Joe Jackson returned, and Ethel returned. It was, as they say, the party that got amazing just as you left.

It was cool to meet you and Julie. Be well.

Mike

Chez Bez said...

Oops. Synonymous.

Thanks.

Linda said...

Figures. I guess that's better than the party getting amazing BECAUSE we left...

It was great to meet you too! Glad your story had a happier ending than ours!

Julie said...

I can't believe Joe Jackson came back on stage! (And Ethel!) Did Peter Frampton ever show up?

Linda said...

According to all of the reports I've seen, Frampton was a no-show. Come to think of it, they didn't even MENTION him...

Anonymous said...

"baby, steppin out...into the nite, into the nite"....

ufos8mycat said...

Too funny. I think I would have to leave with julie. You can only take so much Todd Rundgren.

Anonymous said...

if someone gives you a free ticket, it is just plain courtesy to stay the whole nite....whats that? Todd Rundgren sucks? ok, you can leave after Joe Jackson, my bad...

Chris Wage said...

Funny, we went to see this show too, via mmmikey..

I thought the same thing you guys did halfway through Rundgren's set. We toughed it out though -- you should have too, Jackson did a pretty awesome rendition of "Real Men" with the quartet.

To Rundgren's credit he also had a pretty badass song with just him singing with the quartet.

Amanda said...

In all fairness, Chris (Wage) and I also had the benefit of knowing Jackson was coming back out from a friend who saw them play in NJ. But yes, you were not alone in your opinion!

Anonymous said...

Eh. You shoulda stayed. Rundgren's little malodorous exchange with the audience passed, and a few minutes later he had them in his palm with his weird version of "Bang The Drum." It was uphill from there, and you should truly regret missing all perfomers on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."