Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I'll take some ice cream with my pi...

So, the other day, the subject of pi came up in conversation (Yeah, I know, I really need to quit bragging about my super-exciting life. Anyway...).

I don't remember the context, but I do remember being asked about the value of pi beyond 3.14.

My response? "One five".

I was accused of attempting to round up from 3.14 to 3.15 and was scolded for doing so.

My response was that I was not rounding, but that the next two digits of pi after 1 and 4 were 1 and 5.

Too bad this guy wasn't around.

Man, I need to get a life...

9 comments:

Lindasis said...

What I gather from this (besides you having a super-exciting life) is that the person scolding you either (1) didn't know the digits that followed .14 or (2) if they did know, then they don't know how to round numbers since 3.1415 would never round up to 3.15. I'm also a little concerned that someone who can recite over 83,000 digits is someone that is a 'mental health counsellor. I would think he needs one, not needs to be one!!

Homer Simpson said...

....Pie? mmmmmmmmmmaaaghhhhhhh!!

Marge said...

Oh Homey!

HOmer said...

open face club sanwedge, mmmmm

LLLBogan said...

Linda,

Your blogs attract some crazy people, wahhhhhh

everyone's math teacher said...

LInda,

I wouldn't say scolded is the word. More like, 'Linda, pi is more finite than life'.

and to your sister, you can round up pi to 3.15, if you go with 3.14 and you need a middle number

we all scream for... said...

Ice cream? I want a nutty buddy. Did you see Big Joe on the go at Purity Dairies this morning? GOOD STUFF.

ufos8mycat said...

damn, rainman!

KICK YOUR SORRY ASS said...

ufO,

STAY AWAY FROM THE BLOG, LAST WARNING!!! LAST WARNING!!