Monday, November 21, 2005

Just don't leave out the pumpkin pie...

I've seen this post on 5 awful Thanksgiving side dishes referenced on quite a few blogs lately. I have to admit that even though the day is almost here, I'm still in denial that it's time for Thanksgiving dinner already. But since I have a personal connection to each of these items, I can't help but offer my spin...

1. Green Bean Casserole - Take a can of beans, add a can of soup, bake, and top with fried onions. I fail to see the attraction. I am thrilled to say that this side dish has successfully stayed off of my family's Thanksgiving table. That is, until my brother got married and his sweet bride offered to bring it. It's ok - I just don't eat it.

2. Candied Yams - Like the author of the original post, I am a big fan of sweet potatoes. Keep that canned, marshmallow-covered, baked baby-food looking stuff away from me.

3. Stovetop Stuffing - Ouch. This gets personal. Let's just leave it at this: (A) My father was employed as a food chemist by General Foods. One of his first assignments was to create a dressing that could be prepared on the stove top, not baked. (B) I have not had any communication with my father in over a year and I plan on keeping things that way. (C) I am very happy to say Stove Top will never be a part of my Thanksgiving dinner again.

4. Cranberry Gelatin Mold - The canned stuff is good on cold turkey and dressing sandwiches. That's only because the homemade stuff is far better and there's none left by the time it's sandwich time.

5. I don't think I have a fifth item to add. Do you?

4 comments:

Cara said...

Stovetop sucks. I've always thought so, without a supporting argument. Now, I'll use yours.

Have a happy turkey day!

jag said...

I'll probably get reamed here, but I love both green bean casserole & Stove Top. I do not do the jello molds or yams though. Never have.

I guess it's all in what you grow up with. Or in your case, having too much of what you grew up with. :o)

Linda said...

No reason to fear, jag - I'm all about letting other people have their own opinions. It doesn't make you right, though. :)

Seriously, I'm also anti-oreo cookies, as Nabisco once paid the family mortgage, and a perk of that job was 33 gallon bags filled with the vile teeth-blackening sandwich cookies.

Lesley said...

Wow, I've never been more glad that my stepfather worked for Proctor and Gamble. Sure, it sucked getting Ivory soap in the Christmas basket, but there was good stuff, too.

Worst T-day dish: The turkey!

ps--I've never had Stove Top. My mom never even bought it, much like she never bought Hamburger Helper. She didn't think it was real food.