Thursday, December 08, 2005

'Tis the season to be baking...

In the tradition of the Bottom Five Thanksgiving Sides, Slashfood offers the Bottom Five Reasons to Look Forward to the Holidays.

I have to say, other than fruitcake, I don't support this list.

If you ask me, egg nog is one of the wonders of the season. I still have my children's cookbook (yes, it's quite old, but holding up well, thankyouverymuch) with a recipe for homemade eggnog, complete with a stain where I dripped some nog way back in the 70's. Of course, that was long before I started spiking it. Now, I settle for a carton from Kroger and enhance it with some spiced rum.

As for the rest of the list, I've never heard of a yule log cake, I think Mexican wedding cakes are great little cookies, and have never encountered mincemeat in real life.

This reminds me - mom and I are starting our Christmas "baking" this weekend. We usually tackle rosettes, spritz cookies (the ones made from a cookie press that end up brightly-colored and shaped like Christmas trees, wreaths or pointsettias), fudge, peanut brittle, white almond bark with peppermint pieces, dipped pretzels, rugelach, sugared pecans (seasoned with everything from cinnamon to cayenne pepper), our secret-recipe cookie "cream cheese dainties", and whatever else either of us found a recipe for since last year that we HAVE to try.

Problem is, I don't eat sweets, so I usually bring a huge tray to work and share the fruits of our labor with my coworkers. As some of you may recall, I no longer sit anywhere near my coworkers, and therefore am opposed to bringing in treats for them.

Making individual goodie bags for those who haven't fallen from my "nice" to my "naughty" list requires too much effort.

So, it looks like me and the old ball and chain (see Honey, I do too mention you on my blog) might spend this holiday season getting fat and happy, dining on sweets as we watch season 2 of Miami Vice (have you pre-ordered your DVD yet?).

4 comments:

Jane Smith said...

Your 'honey?' Tell us more, he sounds like the cowboy you used to talk about..

Linda said...

You know, "Jane", the cowboy was known for leaving anonymous comments about himself...

Michael said...

I must admit I have no ordered my season two Miami Vice DVD set...I have, however, made sure that it's well known I want Serenity on DVD...

Anonymous said...

>>>"So, it looks like me and the old ball and chain (see Honey, I do too mention you on my blog) "

You crack me up.