Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bring back the gong...

I am proud to say that before last week, I had never seen American Idol. I only wish I could still claim that to be true...

My husband and I have opposing views on reality TV. I hate it. Can't stand it. Fail to see the entertainment value in it.

He, on the other hand, LOVES it.

Can't get enough of it. Can live without the Bachelor, but HAS to tune in for the last 15 minutes and see who made the cut. Even wasted half an hour of both of our lives watching that awful Danny Bonaduce show (trust me, if it wasn't for the fact that I was half asleep and without the strength to wrestle the remote out of his hand, we wouldn't have made it past 45 seconds).

And last week, he felt it necessary to indoctrinate me to the world of American Idol.

About 15 minutes into it, I was repulsed.

ME: "Why do they let these people make fools of themselves? This is horrible! PLEASE change the channel!"

HIM: "It is horrible - that's what makes it so good!"

ME: "What they need is a gong. Seriously. Put me on that panel with a gong and the world will think that Simon guy is a sweetheart."

HIM: "Whatever. Just go back to your stupid sudoku puzzle."

ME: "Yeah, I would if I could, except you seem to have commandeered my sudoku book!"

Once the show was over, I quickly erased the memory from my mind. Data in; data out. Keep what's worthwhile; purge the rest.

Until last night.

Flipping channels, waiting for W's speech...

HIM: "Stop there! Yeah - let's watch that!"

ME: "Oh crap. I really need to get that gong..."

But I settled for sudoku.

2 comments:

Dr.Phil said...

your husband sounds like a great guy, wow....

Linda said...

Yeah Phil, he's all right...