Thursday, September 21, 2006

Five things to eat before you die

If you haven't seen this meme (started here), you don't read food blogs or the blog of anyone who reads a food blog. My contribution:
  1. Blarney Puffballs from the Irish Lion; Bloomington, IN. These incredible bite sized bits o' joy are mashed potatoes with garlic and cheese that are deep-fried and served with a side of sour cream.Mmm... While you're there, have some soda bread too.

  2. Maryland blue crabs - from any place in Maryland where they serve them on a table covered in newspaper and give you a hammer to help crack them open. And don't even think about eating a crab cake unless it's a Maryland crab cake - that's a Maryland style cake, made with Maryland blue crab, in Maryland.

  3. Pumpkin pie - spicy, custardy pumpkin filling in a flaky crust, topped with fresh (real) whipped cream.

  4. A Philly cheesesteak. If not in South Philly, then in the Philadelphia MSA. Whiz wit.

  5. A tomato sandwich. Made with a ripe, garden grown tomato on soft white bread (ala Wonder or Bunny), salt, and Miracle Whip (or mayo, if you're a purist). Eat it while you stand over the kitchen sink wearing short sleeves, because if it's made right, you'll have tomato juice dripping off your elbows.
This was hard. I thought of hundreds of things I like to eat, but paring the list to 5 was no easy task.

What didn't make the cut? Here are a few (in no order):

A hot dog from a ball park - with ketchup, mustard AND relish.

Cheese blintzes.

Fresh lemonade.

Baked brie with crusty bread and apples.

Pan-fried pierogies with sour cream.

A "toasted over a campfire" marshmallow.

Fresh strawberries with balsamic vinegar.

Filet Mignon - brushed with Gulden's mustard, wrapped in bacon, and grilled no more than medium rare.

Grilled cheese (Jarlsberg and cheddar) with tomato and bacon on rye.

Sister Shubert's sausage rolls with honey mustard.

Oysters on the half shell with saltines, cocktail sauce, and a pitcher of beer.

4 comments:

Christina said...

It's early in the morning and now you have me wanting so many things... Being born and raised in South Jersey, we would drive down to the bay and catch our own blue crabs to take home and cook. I love crabs with melted butter.

Going to a trade school in Philadelphia, I would often have those Philly Cheesesteaks from "Pats". Pure heaven!

And finally, being a Jersey Girl (I think I already said that), I have also eaten those tomato sandwhiches on Wonder bread growing up. Now, grown in my Tennessee garden and on Bunny bread with mayo but just as good!
I like mine with a little salt, pepper and oregano.

I think I will print your list out and try some of the other items on there... Those Blarney Puffballs sound yummy! :)

Linda said...

I could create an entire blog just about food... I have a feeling J.J. and I will be stopping at Kroger on the way home this afternoon.

I may try to recreate the puffballs at home - it's been at least 7 years since I've had one... I wonder if there's an IU student from Nashville who can bring some home in a cooler some weekend?

Paige said...

I have to agree with those. Even the ones not included in the top 5. Makes me hungry!

dp said...

mmm. baked brie.

a lot of that stuff sounds really good.