Tuesday, October 10, 2006

57 Channels and Nothing On

Sunday nights used to be big TV nights in our home. A full day of football was followed by laughing at the dogs and cats on AFV, catching up with the Desperate Housewives, then upstairs to watch The Family Guy and American Dad who were waiting for us on the VCR.

We gave up on Housewives about midway through last season. Maybe not even that far. It just got - ridiculous.

And if we even bother with Family Guy it's only to fast forward to Stewie and Brian, since they're the only ones who make us laugh. Ditto for Roger on American Dad. Each show now takes up 5 minutes of our time, max.

Monday night, CSI Miami is on, and Joe just has to get his weekly fix of Horatio (his admitted man crush, but don't tell him I told you that). Since he now works on Monday evenings, that usually means he cuddles up with Horatio via TiVo on one of his days off. Sometimes, I get stuck having to watch it too, but thankfully, I can get away with sitting on the couch with my tablet or a Sudoku puzzle, looking up and saying "mmm hmm" whenever Joe says, "Look, honey, we've been there!"

Thursday, we used to hang out with Earl. Fridays, it was Monk. Both have been disappointing lately. Why the focus on Joy? And Monk. Monk's trying too hard. He's lost that "Monkness" about him that was so sweet and quirky. He's definitely more bitter now - sometimes he's just downright mean.

So, out of the necessity of Joe's new work schedule and the amount of suckage from our shows, we've consolidated all of our television watching to one evening - Wednesdays. The night Lost (aka "the only show worth watching") is on.

While Joe is taking the bear home, I give J.J. a bath and get him to bed, and we meet up in the family room between 7:00 and 7:30, with the baby monitor, just in case J.J. decides to wake up.

We'll usually knock out a show or two from the TiVo list, then start in on Lost once it has had some time to get rolling, catching up with real time before it's over. Then another show or two from our list, and we're out.

I'm wondering what will happen when we get tired of the shows we have left and our TiVo is filled up with Bob the Builder, Barney, and the Big Comfy Couch. I have a feeling I may need to stock up on Sudoku...

7 comments:

jag said...

Boston Legal, House, and Nip/Tuck could add a Tuesday night lineup to your schedule.

I'll fight Joe for Horatio. In fact, I could have an entire conversation with him in Horatio speak: "Here's what I want you to do - hang in there. Good work." I know he's bigger than me and all, but my love is strong, baby!

Linda said...

I've not seen any of those but will give them a try. I've heard a lot of good things about Boston Legal.

This could be a good fight - you have no idea how many conversations in our house start with, "Do you know what Horatio would say...?"

CHEZ BEZ said...

Great title. I remember my friends and I playing that Springsteen song on the Waffle House jukebox many years ago to the chagrin of a favorite waitress.

Good times.

sistasmiff said...

I think Boston Legal is perhaps one of the better shows on the teevee these days.

Muffy said...

Uh, hello? Simpsons?

Linda said...

I always forget about the Simpsons...

Muffy said...

NooOooOOooOoOOoOOoOOOOOO!!!!