Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Starting over

First, I want to offer a big heartfelt thank you to everyone who called, emailed or otherwise responded to me in the past week in reference to my job being eliminated and the service I provided to my company becoming outsourced. I've mentioned before that my job was a Dilbert comic strip, and this has pretty much secured that.

I have been blown away at the generosity of others to help me find something new to fill 40 or so hours a week and provide me not just a paycheck, but an opportunity to learn, share my knowledge and provide for my family.

Tomorrow (Thursday), I will go to my office for one last day. The functional part of my job is over - I just need to go to the farewell lunch, finish carting my personal belongings to my car and collect my last check.

So.

Now what?

I'm not sure yet. In the past seven days, I updated a 7 year-old resume (and edited and modified and tweaked it a few times), forwarded it to friends and have been overwhelmed at the positive response. I've had several inquiries, exploratory phone calls, interviews and have some more scheduled.

While work has always meant a lot to me, I think it's safe to say that in the past year, I've been focused primarily on my family. Realizing that I'm so much more than "just a mom" has given me a new perspective and I'm looking forward to finding the right place to work.

My goal is to find that place, then take some time to unwind, detox and tackle that "to do" list before starting over.

I spent my childhood moving from state to state, being the new kid at school and finding new challenges. I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next one!

5 comments:

Cole said...

So what are you going to eat at the farewell lunch? ;-)

Linda said...

Hmm... I'll start with the build your own pasta bar...

bow tie pasta, spinach, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, asparagus, and a blend of marinara and Alfredo sauces, topped with red pepper flakes.

Then, I'll have a salad, anything that looks good on the rest of the hot buffet, and at least two desserts... probably apple strudel and a cheese cake.

Yum!!!

Erin said...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And enjoy that lunch!

Cole said...

Oh, they're taking you out to lunch? I just assumed it would be your favorite...potluck!

BlondeMom said...

Good luck today and good luck with landing that next job...I hope it is the "perfect" one (or close to perfect...don't think the perfect one exists.)