Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Talk about a pain in the butt...

Saturday afternoon, J.J. and I decided to visit Pied Piper Creamery to see our friend Jenny and to let J.J. have his first taste of ice cream.

When I tried to put him in his car seat to come home, he screamed in pain, his face turned scarlet, and big fat tears streamed down his face. I immediately unstrapped him, held him tight, and kissed his tears away.

Back in the seat, and the screaming began again.

And I could tell he was hurting. Bad. He calmed down enough that I didn't feel the need to rush him to Vanderbilt's Pediatric ER, and decided to get him home.

He was fussy all the way home, and I couldn't get him inside fast enough. When I was holding him, he was OK, but the minute I laid him on his changing table, all hell broke loose again.

My mind raced, wondering how he got hurt and what could be hurting him... did he try to stand up and slip and bruise himself or break something? When could it have happened? I needed to get him down to the diaper and check out my little guy.

I examined his legs, arms, tummy, chest, shoulders, back... Nothing. The only thing I discovered was his diaper was in need of changing.

And that's when I found what was making my happy little boy so miserable:

Diaper rash. I'm here to tell you, these guys are nothing compared to diaper rash.

The worst part is, the diaper rash is from his antibiotic... So the medicine that made the pain of his ear infection go away (third in two months - we're off to the ENT soon to discuss tubes) has caused him the most pain he's experienced in his entire life.

The good news is, things are starting to clear up & we have just 4 more days of antibiotic. I'm just glad this will all be a memory by the time we head out on Spring Break next week...

6 comments:

Erin said...

Awww, the poor guy! I think they should hand out a tube of A&D when they give kids antibiotics. The two go hand in hand!

Glad he is feeling better though!

sista said...

Is he taking Augmentin? That stuff will tear their little bottoms up. Get some of that stuff you'd get for jock itch or yeast infection stuff cause that's basically what it is.

I hope he feels better quickly. He's too sweet and good to be miserable. Kisses from Auntie Sista.

Linda said...

Yep - it's Augmentin. First, it made him throw up, now this. And this is the first medicine he hates to take. I'm glad his ear is better, but this diaper rash made him just as (if not more) uncomfortable. I was in tears half of Saturday, but he had fun crawling around naked, letting it air out!

Ginger said...

Poor little man! I hope it gets healed quickly. Where are you headed for Spring Break?

Linda said...

He's so much better now, but it's been no fun dealing with the ear infection, diaper rash and teething.

We're heading to Gatlinburg next week. Time to hit the aquarium and play in the indoor pool. Ugh. That means bathing suit...

dp said...

You know Jenny? I know Jenny. Small world. Sorry 'bout little dude's rash.