Monday, June 11, 2007

Just call me Miss Tuffett...

Don't tell my husband, because he's terrified of all things crawly, but we had our own small-scale version of Arachnophobia today...

This morning, when I was brushing my teeth, there were 3 "baby" spiders in the sink. Teeny tiny little things. I turned on the faucet, and washed them down the drain ("...down came the rain and WASHED the spider out..."). I looked up to see if there was a web somewhere above, saw nothing, shrugged it off and went about my way.

End of story? Not so much.

This evening, I was back in our bathroom and there was a BIG fat black spider in the sink. Faucet went on, spider tried to swim, faucet came on stronger.

Then... more babies! They literally started popping out everywhere. I witnessed the birth of at least a dozen, maybe twice as many.

I'm (not so) sad to report there were no survivors. After they were washed out to their watery grave, I came back with a can of Raid (that may or may not kill spiders, but according to the can, it will keep any ants and roaches away) and rinsed down the scene. I even sprayed in the overflow drain (where I suspect they were living). I'm sure if Joe ever hears about this, he'll use at least three cans of air freshener to make sure they're done for.

Here's the creepier crawlier part: Even though I'm not the least bit afraid of spiders (my sister got enough of that fear for our entire family), right now, I can feel their surviving family members crawling all over me, seeking revenge... Let's hope there's not a sequel to this...

11 comments:

jag said...

Two thoughts - one, in eighth grade our class took a long bus trip and on the way home they showed Arachnaphobia. My best friend at the time got home only to get in the shower and turn around to see the biggest spider ever hanging out in the bathtub. Scarred for life.

Two, I read an interview where Richard Gere was talking about teaching his children about Buddhism and he told them to always respect bugs, because if you can respect a bug and treat them kindly then it should be no problem to treat a human the same way. I really like that thought and try to do that, but when it comes to my house and a spider or something being all up in my space, sorry Charlie. I'll respect them when I see them outdoors.

That second part didn't make near as much sense as I meant it to....

Muffy said...

It's like on Friends when Monica buys Joey a tarantula to get Rachel to move out, and turns out it's Joey who's terrified and even after Rachel puts it back in the tank, Joey goes,

"Is it back in there? I feel like it's still on me ISITONME?!?!?!?!?!"

Spiders suck. Try pouring some bleach down the drain too.

I have friends who don't believe in killing spiders in the house, bad karma or something, and instead take them outside. Well here's karma for ya: THEY JUST COME BACK IN.

If it's got more than 2 legs and it's not a dog, cat or a rodent I chose to own, it's dead.

Ginger said...

ewwww! arrrgh! yuk. Big spider popping out baby spiders...yukky...now I've got the heebie geebies!!! :)

Klinde said...

Yikes!! I do not think I would appreciate the miracle of birth happening in my bathroom sink!

Kathy T. said...

My oldest daughter freaks-the-flip-out when she sees a spider. Now my youngest is learning her screaming behaviour. Sheesh. But I would've been pretty creeped out to see all those babies. blech.

Your husband said...

Are you s****ing me? You didn't tell me about this? What the F*&^?

Now I am going to spray the entire house with air freshener.....this is unreal!

Julie said...

Your blog is very timely. I have 3 spider bites currently. Each one has occurred in the middle of the night on 3 separate occasions. To top it off, the pest control guy was here after my first bite. Is it like cicadas where they all come out at a certain time?? I have cortisone all over my body.

Lindasis said...

The raid (for ants, roaches, even flying insects...) it all works for spiders. Believe me!!

Lindasis said...

...oh yeah....and I'm REALLY glad we covered the issue of me not coming over until Saturday morning...because after reading this I'm not sure when I'll be able to use your bathroom again....and I really want to start out my vacation with a shower that morning!

Linda said...

So far, no more encounters with arachnids... Not even the nightmares I feared would haunt me, thank goodness!

My usual response to spiders is to pick them up, toss them out the door, & let them eat bugs in the wild. Can you imagine if I had picked up that mama spider while she was in labor?! Eew.

jag said...

Oh, that just created a whole new list of irrational fears, that whole mama spider while she's in labor thing.

I'll never sleep again.