Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bah Halloween-bug

So, after yet another Halloween that failed to meet my high expectations of handing out boatloads of candy to swarms of costume wearing children, I'm suffering from post-holiday letdown.

Last year, we decked J.J. out in an infant costume, showed him off to the neighbors, and waited and waited (and waited) for the kids, only to have 2 (or 3, it depends on whom you ask) trick-or-treaters. We finally resorted to leaving the bowl of candy on the doorstep and went to Macaroni Grill for some chianti dinner, only to find Lillie's mommy ate all of our candy.

This year, our little lamb refused to get into costume. And we had a grand total of zero trick-or-treaters.

None.

Once, a car drove by really slow and I got all excited and locked Lillie in our bedroom so she wouldn't scare anyone and I waited and waited (and waited) for the doorbell to ring.

And...

Nothing.

So, if you work with me, I'll be bringing in a bowl of Kit Kat and Whoppers and Milk Duds tomorrow. And if you don't work with me, you may want to come by.

What I'm really bummed about is that next year, when J.J. "gets it" and realizes that by wearing some adorable costume that his grandma made and going door to door begging for treats, he'll come home with a bucketful of sugar, it won't be in our neighborhood. Because, since hardly anyone comes out, hardly any neighbors have candy.

So, if you live in one of those neighborhoods where so many kids come by that you run out of candy and have to hide behind darkened windows so no one knows you're home, I'm green with envy. And, drop me an email and let me know where your neighborhood is, so J.J. can stop by next year.

5 comments:

Christina said...

I've lived here 14 years and have NEVER had a single trick-or-treater! It was depressing for the first few years but now it's just the norm.

When our son was younger, I used to go to his school Halloween parties and give out candy to the kids. I was also a bit surprised to find out that although his school held Halloween parties, they did not allow the children to dress up in costume. :-(

I hope you have better luck next Halloween...it can't get any worse. **sigh**

john h said...

If Salemtown doesn't scare ya (I live on a really nice block...), we had 147 trick or treaters last night...steady customers from 5:30 to 8:30 when WE shut it down..

Lesley said...

You're going to laugh at what I wrote last night if you haven't already...

West Nashville is the place to be. Five days now without any murders! But seriously, my neighborhood is popular for people dropping off carloads of kids because the area surrounding my neighborhood is filled big lots, hills and no sidewalks.

Oh, and Richland off West End is very popular, too. Those folks go all out.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I left a big thing of candy (in a favorite pumpkin bucket...big mistake) on our front doorstep and while we were out some #%$$!@# stole it! Ugh!

We have blocks that are busy and blocks that are dark but I hear that Traceside in Bellevue is pretty happenin'.

gryffonx@gmail.com said...

I would have thought we would have had scores of kids come to the door in my neighborhood, but I guess they all went elsewhere.

Kira got into the spirit really quick when she realized candy was involved. After only one or two tries, she was happily calling out "chickacheet!" over and over again. Now comes the part where we explain to her that it only happens once a year...

So far the best places I have seen to go is in Brentwood. My mother-in-laws neighborhood typically has a lot of foot traffic.

- Erik